The designer spotlight this week focuses on Philippe David, an artist and textile designer from France. Philippe designed fabrics for 6 Mandel, an elegant chambre d’hôte not far from the Eiffel Tower in the chic 16th arrondissement in Paris.
Born in 1961, Philippe received his diploma from the Ecole Nationale Superieure des Arts Appliqués et des Metiers d’Arts de Paris (Olivier de Serres) in 1985. He was selected by fashion designer Thierry Mugler to create prints for Mugler’s fashion shows, as well as for the fashion house’s Japanese lines and the bedding collection for the US market. Philippe moved to New York City and began doing work for the Clarence House; he has also worked with Fujie textile putting together several exclusive home funishing lines. These days he splits his time between Paris and New York, working on many diverse projects.
- Favorite restaurant: Indochine on Lafayette Street in New York City where he recommends the steamed fish in banana leaves.
- Favorite food shopping area in Paris: rue Montorgueil (a pedestrian-only street near Les Halles) and rue due faubourg Saint Denis.
- Favorite patisserie: Stoehrer on rue Montorgueil (the bouchée à la reine is divine).
- Favorite shopping area: the Palais Royal which has boutiques such as Marc Jacobs, Stella McCartney and Didier Ludot (vintage classics).
- Fabric shopping: boutiques along the rue du Mail.
- Best vintage garage sale in Paris: in the 2nd arrondissement, the “vide grenier” on the 18th of September.
- Favorite holiday location in France: his small farm near Bernay in Haute Normandie (30 minutes drive from Deauville/Honfleur/Trouville).
- Inspirations: People watching in Paris and NYC; street fashion; the verdant lush natural beauty of Normandy, contemporary art galeries in West Chelsea and the Marais, students in his textile classes at the Paris Fashion Institute, his manufacturers’ great use of silks, natural fibers and pigments.
On 1 September 2009, Philippe is hosting a cocktail party in the Marais in Paris (on the rue Saint Paul) to kick off a month-long exposition of his work. On 23 September 2009, he is holding a cocktail presentation of his new collection of area rugs and fabrics in New York City (at TexStyle 200 Lexington, Suite #423). Find out more at TexStyle. Philippe’s work was featured in a TV show last fall in France: http://www.france5.fr/question-maison/index-fr.php?page=article&id=1880
Philippe David Dessins
251 Rue Saint Denis
+33 (0)6 71 18 15 21
– – – – – – – – – – –