I am not a fan of BB creams because they are difficult to apply and feel too thick and heavy. However, Laneige, the Korean cosmetics company owned by Amore Pacific, has developed a better version of the BB cream. It is called the Laneige Snow BB Soothing Cushion. Unlike a BB cream, it is not a liquid that comes in a tube; it comes in compact that contains a wet spongy cushion infused with a lighter version of the BB cream. You press down on this cushion, either with a foundation brush, your fingers, or the round rubber-like applicator that comes with the compact, and apply on your face in quick, short strokes.
Here’s what I like about the Snow BB Soothing Cushion:
- Excellent for travel (especially these days with liquids restrictions on carry-on luggage): you get a sunscreen (SPF 50 provided by the zinc oxide and titanium dioxide in the product) and foundation all in one, and you don’t even have to apply loose or pressed powder (so you don’t need to bring your loose or pressed powder);
- Coverage is medium to full, depending upon how you apply it so it does cover imperfections like big pores, acne scars and small veins;
- Sweat-proof: I wore this product on my face on a very humid afternoon in Singapore and usually, my face would be shiny after 30 minutes, but not this time;
- Looks very natural: I was afraid this would give my face an unnatural mask-like look, but the coverage is beautiful and attractive.
Disadvantages of the Laneige Snow BB Soothing Cushion:
- There are only 3 shades. This product is clearly targeted at fair Northern Asian women. I’m Filipina and have not been in the sun recently so I’m at my lightest, and yet I am wearing the darkest shade (No. 31 – Brown Beige);
- Needs to be removed with a cleansing oil (I like Fancl) and the little blue rubber applicator also needs to be cleaned with a cleansing oil or very powerful soap.